Sildenafil is the active ingredient in Viagra and it is sold under the name Sildenafil as a generic alternative. Sildenafil and Viagra do exactly the same thing and equally well. The generic version is just generally cheaper than Viagra. There are actually quite a few alternatives to Viagra on the market.
If you are suffering from erectile dysfunction and need a few quick facts to decide whether you need to ask your doctor for a Sildenafil prescription, this is what you need to know.
- Sildenafil is the generic option for Viagra and is prescribed for erectile dysfunction or impotence in men. It has the same effect as Viagra and improves sexual performance in men that struggle to get or keep an erection.
- Sildenafil is not safe for women to use. Some studies have been conducted on the effects of Sildenafil or Viagra in women, but no definite findings have been reported.
- Sildenafil can only be bought on prescription. This medication is not available to buy without a doctor’s prescription. The medication can interact negatively with other drugs and it can also be dangerous to use when suffering from certain health conditions. This is why you must discuss this treatment with a doctor before you start taking Sildenafil.
- Sildenafil comes in three different doses. It starts with Sildenafil 25mg and can be increased to 50mg or 100mg if it is ineffective and the doctor agrees to prescribe it. For most men, the 25mg is more than enough but severe ED may require a higher dose.
- Sildenafil works by dilating the arteries in the penis. This increases blood flow to the penis and makes it possible for an erection to happen. The drug is called a vasodilator which means that it dilates the arteries and increases blood flow.
- Sildenafil should not be used with nitrate-based medications. Nitrates are usually prescribed to help with high blood pressure. This means that it increases blood flow and also dilates arteries to reduce the pressure. If Sildenafil and these other medications are taken together, it can cause very low blood pressure and very dangerous health conditions.
- Millions of men in the world have successfully used Sildenafil and Viagra to treat ED. In America alone, millions of men suffer from ED and make use of treatments like Sildenafil. It is an effective drug that has very few side effects and it has changed many men’s lives.
- Few to no side effects are reported. Some men experience mild headaches and facial flushing when using Sildenafil. Others have also reported stomach problems, blurry vision, and nasal congestion. However, most men do not experience these side effects and those who do says that it is all worth it.
- Sildenafil is not funded by the NHS. You will need a private prescription for Sildenafil or Viagra as the NHS does not fund erectile dysfunction medications. You will have to carry the full cost of the treatment and pay a prescription fee. Your insurance may reimburse you for this, but you will have to check with them.
Use these facts to determine whether Sildenafil will be the right medication for your problem.